FULL AD: https://careers-donaanacounty.icims.com/jobs/3009/planner-designer/job
Under the direction of the Chief Planner, the Planner/Designer performs professional comprehensive and community planning and design functions as outlined in the county’s ordinances, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Assist with preparation, management, amendments and implementation of Doña Ana County plans (e.g. Comprehensive Plan, Community and Corridor Plans, etc.)
- Manage assigned projects and contracts, including planning, design and construction
- Develop and track project scopes of work, budgets and schedules
- Seek and administer grants and other funding sources for implementation of projects and programs, including construction projects and the built environment
- Prepare, distribute and monitor project correspondence to/from funding agencies, management, consultants, contractors, etc.
- Maintain project files including the organization of all project documentation, drawings, reports, correspondence, etc.
- Develop short- and long-range work plans, procedures and schedules
- Conduct community outreach and education
- Make presentations to various boards, commissions and groups
- Participate and represent the department in various working groups, committees, community groups and public meetings
- Prepare various illustrative graphics, graphic presentations and formats, maps, conceptual designs, renderings and site plans
- Collect, compile and analyze complex information and data, and prepare reports
- Analyze land development applications, proposals and other regional planning efforts for conformance with the Doña Ana County Comprehensive Plan and other relevant planning documents
- Provide high level of customer service to public and other staff, in person, over the phone and via email
- ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Other duties and special projects may be assigned
Education. Bachelor’s degree required. Degree from an accredited university in planning, urban design, landscape architecture, architecture, or related field preferred.
Experience. Two (2) years of experience in the area of regional, comprehensive, community planning and design or similar capacity.
Licenses/Certifications. Must possess a valid unrestricted driver’s license. Has or is pursuing professional certification preferred e.g. AICP, CNU, ASLA, AlA
Other (e.g., post-offer medical exam, polygraph, background check, driver’s license record, etc.). Must pass background check and maintain an acceptable driving record.
Portfolio/Work Samples. A portfolio or work samples must be provided in order to be considered.
Knowledge: The art and science of shaping the interaction between: people and places, environment and community form, natural systems and the built environment, influencing the processes that lead to successful villages, towns and other communities including political processes through which decisions are made; land use concepts including sustainable development, Smart Growth, New Urbanism and Strong Towns; comprehensive and functional area planning; site planning; green infrastructure and landscape design; construction drawings; development codes and ordinances; community and urban design.
Skills: Intellectual curiosity about the planning and design professions; ability to improve skill set on a daily basis; solid understanding and application of placemaking, community planning and design (region, city, town, village, neighborhood, district, corridor, street and block) regional and comprehensive planning; ability to clearly and concisely communicate verbally, in writing and through graphics; demonstrated proficiency in: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign); Microsoft Office (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint); additional proficiencies may include GIS (ArcView), AutoCAD, SketchUp, other 3D applications; ideal candidate will demonstrate a creative approach to planning and design with exceptional leadership and project management capabilities; plan and organize community improvement projects and programs; make oral presentations before a wide variety of groups; demonstrate strong organizational, problem-solving, and analytical skills to find solutions to complex problems are a must. Expertise must be demonstrated in a professional portfolio or work samples.
Ability: Work with culturally diverse population; train employees; establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff, consultants, contractors, stakeholders, the public and all those doing business with Doña Ana County; work independently and within the multi-disciplinary structure of the department; use considerable judgment in various situations and take appropriate action while recognizing when it is necessary to refer to management; understand, interpret and consistently apply provisions of laws, regulations and policies; facilitate interdepartmental cooperation, serve as a team member and maintain open communication between various groups; perform work with considerable latitude for independent judgment and action within the scope of work and agency programs and policies; establish, maintain, and foster positive and harmonious working relationships; manage and work on multiple projects, priorities and meet deadlines; must possess versatility, flexibility, and a willingness to work with constantly changing priorities; organize and prioritize multiple tasks; work on complex projects with general direction and minimal guidance; coordinate activities between multiple departments, disciplines, federal and state programs and agencies; must carry a positive attitude and outlook; work beyond normal business hours including evening and weekends in excess of forty hours in a week as deadlines, projects, meetings and customer service may require; regular attendance to ensure continuity of services.